A large portion of a million people partook in a brilliant peace challenge in Barcelona on Saturday after Spain's Catalonia district was hit with two dread assaults that killed 16 individuals.
The investigation into the ISIL (also known as Daesh) cell behind the attacks has shown the group planned even more deadly carnage, but accidentally blew up a house in Alcanar where bombs were being built and gas tanks stored.
The 51-year-old was left in a critical condition after a van was driven into crowds in the famous Las Ramblas boulevard.
One of the suspects involved in the Barcelona attacks was found dead in a auto three kilometers from where police officers tried to stop him by firing at the vehicle he was in.
A cell of 12 jihadists has been blamed for the attacks. The attacker, Younes Abouyaaqoub, was shot dead five days later by police west of Barcelona.
Another man was stabbed to death in a carjacking as the driver of the van that was driven into pedestrians in Las Ramblas made his getaway.
After the death of the driver of the van that wound up hundreds of passers-by in that Barcelona artery, the Mossos disintegrated the criminal command, although they are still investigating possible worldwide connections of its 12 members. Eight are dead, while four appeared in court in Madrid last week.
"There, with all of Catalan society and all of Spain... we will once again give a clear message of unity and condemnation of terrorism, and of love for the city of Barcelona", he added.
Barcelona police said some 500,000 people were at the march. The men crashed the auto and attacked passers-by with knives and axes, police said.
The march was led by emergency workers, shopkeepers and residents of the city.
A separate anti-violence rally was held in the northern town of Ripoll, home to numerous attackers.
King Felipe VI marched alongside Rajoy and representatives of all of Spain's major political parties behind the first ranks.