Port Authority attack suspect: What we know about Akayed Ullah

NY emergency authorities were responding to reports of an explosion at New York's Port Authority, one of the city's busiest commuter hubs, during Monday morning's rush hour.

NYPD reported the device either malfunctioned or did not go off the way the suspect intended.

The police have confirmed that apart from the suspect, three other people have suffered non- life-threatening injuries.

Being treated: Ullah is now at Bellevue Hospital, where he is being treated for lacerations and burns to his hands and abdomen, New York City Fire Department Commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

The reported blast was of "unknown origin", police said in a statement.

The suspect in an attempted terror attack near Times Square told investigators that he timed the assault to coincide with the Christmas season for the greatest possible impact - lashing out in the name of the Islamic State, a law enforcement official said Monday. The suspect has been identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, who is from Bangladesh and has been in the country for seven years. He also had a pipe bomb and battery pack on him, according to The New York Post.

The A, C and E subway lines were being evacuated, Sgt. Brendan Ryan told HuffPost.

Subway trains were bypassing the Port Authority and Times Square stations. "Info is preliminary, more when available".

The bus terminal was temporarily closed, and a large swath of midtown Manhattan was closed to traffic.

"From what I saw it sounded like it came from the subway, but I'm just guessing", he said.

The weapon used in Monday's attack was "amateur-level", New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said at a news conference near the explosion site. "They said 'suspicious package'".

On Oct. 31, a motorist in a rented pickup drove down a lower Manhattan bike path, killing eight people and wounding a dozen more before crashing into a school bus.

The incident comes a few weeks after a deadly terror attack in Lower Manhattan. "And let's also be clear, this was an attempted terrorist attack".

Marlyn Yu Sherlock was at a retail store on the main floor of the terminal when people began flooding out of the subway entrance, "screaming, running in panic", she said.

Related Articles